Re: Digest Number 340

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 09:36:16 -0500

> Message: 13
> Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 09:39:40 -0000
> From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>
> Subject: Subject: Re: Random musings
>

> > And I think that using a single thing to resist everything (or
> many,
> > many things) is somewhat... well... its boring. I'd rather have
> > players thinking about how to resist the incoming magic and being
> > *interesting* rather than 'oh, I'll resist with my 14w2 Worship
> Storm
> > Pantheon...
> >

> Good point. Either disallow it altogether, assign enormous
> improvisation modifiers to encourage use of other skills or modify it
> depending on the type of incoming magic...

Yeah, my reasons are below for disallowing it -- more for PC Hero safety reasons. Hefty improv penalties because its really worship (which is usually long term, vaguely ceremonial and usually in a benign enviorment) that you're doing rather than actively trying to parry an inbound Sunspear. If you have that level of problems with Dara Happans, join the Orlanth Thunderous subcult which provides Fight Dara Happan or Fight Enemy Magic.

if you want to fight sorcery, I'd suggest starting a hero band worshipping a hero who provides Fight Sorcery... Sigmund Meldekbane, for example. (Okay, Sigmumnd's not a good name... but I am stumped for one that 'feels right'...)

> If you are trying to resist magic cast by an Orlanthi from the Clan
> across the valley then why should your Worship Storm Pantheon protect
> you from his Storm Pantheon Magic? However if your foe is a Dara
> Happan then you could argue that the Storm Pantheon is used to
> fighting the minions of the Evil Emperor, so their power should
> protect you?

Possibly, but the gods seem to protect those who protect themselves in Glorantha (at least, it looks that way). I MIGHT allow it but at a huge penalty as its such an all encompasing ability -- worship being the knowlge of prayers and sacred proceedure. The affinities of Devotion and Initiate are the depth of your *faith* in a particular god. Bt I think that using the Worship (or even Initation or Devotion) is much like calling for divine aid. I'd probably give a -15 or -20 penalty. But when my players were asked about this they said 'that's weak', 'bogus' and '(expletive)! If we could do that, then YOU can do that. I don't want you to do that to us...' But then, my players are fond of innovating feats and producing the appropriate 'mythlet' when asked for justifcation.

> > My two koku.
> >
> Um, Wrong list Jeff

Hee!

> My two Bolg

I'm sure our mysterious Vormani use koku. Or even the Kralorians. Honest.

Here, have an oreo.

Jeff