Re: Subject: Re: Random musings

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:41:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Markus Battarbee wrote:

> (Yes, I know who I'm arguing with... ;)

Oh, good.

> HW p178: Feats:
> [Feats] are always specialized actions.

But their uses are not described. Therefore all we have to go on is how well it fits the name. Therefore Fireblade can be used to cause a blade to burn, to produce a blade of pure fire, even to do the cooking - roasting a rabbit over a burning knife? Why not. Try it in my game, and your god might get a bit miffed, but it ain't against the rules...

> I'd say using Fireblade both as an weapon-enchanting feat
> and a direct fire-attack feat contradicts with that statement. If a
> devotee can always use feats, he won't ever need improvisation modifiers!
>
> "Um, well, I'll use my 'mile javelin throw' feat to propel my words
> far away. Thus I can shout loud enough for them to hear me."

But there is no javelin there. Roderick's statement didn't go quite that far. But basically, if your aim involves javelins, and hitting targets a long way away, the feat covers it.

> Or do we want people heating a stone to use as a stove with Fireblade?
> How about using Fireblade on a stick and saying it's a magical torch?

Again no blade here, so would seem to not apply.

> Of course, Orlanth Adventurous devotees could use the "Lift Objects with
> Wind" -feat to acheive everything Vangath devotees can, lifting themselves.
> Right? Hmm?

This is where the real contradiction becomes clear. Of course Orlanth Adventurous devotees (and initiates) can use "Lift objects with winds" to fly, to help their friends to fly, etc. To avoid them getting all the powers that Vangath gets, some sort of barrier needs to be put in place. The rules provide two - improvisation modifiers or contests against a hard resistance. My gut feel is that the standard 14 resistance, multiplied by the number of people should about do it. Then look at the range and duration modifiers table.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net