Re: Using feats

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:01:41 +0200

Graham Robinson wrote:

> > HW p178: Feats:
> > [Feats] are always specialized actions.
> But their uses are not described. Therefore all we have to go on
> is how well it fits the name. Therefore Fireblade can be used to
> cause a blade to burn, to produce a blade of pure fire, even to do
> the cooking - roasting a rabbit over a burning knife? Why not.
> Try it in my game, and your god might get a bit miffed, but it
> ain't against the rules...

Well, maybe. I get your point here. Still, I like the idea of defining only one use for a feat - EITHER enhancing a blade OR creating a blade out of fire. Vary it from one temple to another, or whatever, but if the name of the feat is vague, fix it. Giving feats too much flexibility doesn't feel right. That's what affinities are for.

Yeah, Bar-B-Qing a wabbit on your sword should work, but especially if you worship a war god, he might get quite offended. No prob there rules-wise, since it's still cooking meat... =)

> > "Um, well, I'll use my 'mile javelin throw' feat to propel my words
> > far away. Thus I can shout loud enough for them to hear me."
> But there is no javelin there. Roderick's statement didn't go quite
> that far. But basically, if your aim involves javelins, and hitting
> targets a long way away, the feat covers it.

OK, my bad. Shouldn't get carried away.

> > Or do we want people heating a stone to use as a stove with
> > Fireblade? How about using Fireblade on a stick and saying
> > it's a magical torch?
> Again no blade here, so would seem to not apply.

 Well, flames can look a bit like blades... ;)

> > Of course, Orlanth Adventurous devotees could use the "Lift
> > Objects with Wind" -feat to acheive everything Vangath devotees
> > can, lifting themselves. Right? Hmm?
> This is where the real contradiction becomes clear. Of course
> Orlanth Adventurous devotees (and initiates) can use "Lift
> objects with winds" to fly, to help their friends to fly, etc.
> To avoid them getting all the powers that Vangath gets, some
> sort of barrier needs to be put in place. The rules provide
> two - improvisation modifiers or

Well, if you're using improvisation modifiers, why tie it to a feat? Why not simply use the Wind Affinity?

> contests against
> a hard resistance. My gut feel is that the standard 14
> resistance, multiplied by the number of people should about
> do it. Then look at the range and duration modifiers table.

Hmm, this sounds pretty good. Though speeds, amongst other things, would be limited - after all the feat talks about lifting, not blazing through the air at high velocities.

-B