On Magic Weapons/World-Egg on My Face

From: Erik <epweissengruber_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 16:17:49 -0000

> > I ain't seen it in Homer, the Vedas, or Lieber -- I ain't
allowing it

> This seems unneccessarily narrow. And anyway, fantasy literature and
> mythology is full of people praying to their gods for a weapon with
which
> to smite their foes.

Usually the magic toy sticks around -- Philoctetes' Arrows, Roland's Sword, etc.

> > Isn't there a HEAVY penalty for using a non-magical skill to
defend
> > against magic.
> >
> > the examples from the Narrator Book seem to bear this out
> >

> That would be legitimate, unless the skill really was appropriate.

Correct, correct -- "Unravel Knitting" would not be too effective against a Fireblade, but if someone was trying to "Weave Arachne Solara's Net", maybe mundane knitting skills would be appropriate

And about Zorak Zoran -- I forgot he was kind of an anti-Prometheus. Humakt trucks with darkness to defend his tribe, Zorak trucks with dreaded light to save his tribe.