Re: Subject: Re: Random musings

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:08:10 +0200

Roderick wrote:
> > As far as I understood, initiates must always improvise magical
> > actions from their affinities. However, devotees still have this
> > power as well... Why use Fireblade for a gout of targeted fire, when
> > the name implies something else? The devotee can still improvise
> > a gout of flame from his Fire affinity, right?
> Yes, absolutely. The difference between an initiate and a devotee is that
> the devotee can then pay 1 HP and be able to use the "gout of fire" feat
> without improv penalties. Whn a devotee gets to the point where -3 or -5
> means diddly to him, he can stop paying the HP to cement feats. - he is
> truely becoming a Hero to be reckoned with.

Whoops - I believe I could do with some clarification here. Do devotees continue to create new feats all the time? I thought feats were limited examples of magical actions, perhaps area-related, but couldn't be invented my just any devotee...?

Ho hum. If all feats are created by the devotees themselves, well, that changes things a lot.

> > Further evidence: Why does Vangath have the "avoid lightning" feat,
> > if the same effect could be acheived with the "aerial maneuvering" feat?
> > I suppose that could well replace "fly fast", too... Hell, how about
> > just using a generic "fly" feat, that can be used with all flying effects?
> He has a generic "Fly" affinity that does just that.

Yep, an affinity, not a feat...

-B