Re: Using & Abusing Feats (was: Random musings)

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:21:05 -0000

Graham Robinson:
>(I'm with Phil on this, never
>say "no" when you can say "-50".)

Thanks!

>However the feat under discussion was
>fire blade, not turn sword fiery. It
>seems perfectly legitimate to use this
>to create the blade in the first place.

Bear in mind that if the character has used the feat already to enhance an existing blade, then they have already established what their version of the feat is. IMO.

Markus:

>Further evidence: Why does Vangath have the
>"avoid lightning" feat, if the same effect could
>be acheived with the "aerial maneuvering" feat?

Because "avoid lightning" can be used at full chance to dodge lightning, but "aerial maneuvering" would take an improv penalty, IMO. "Avoid" could even be interpreted as a simple ability test.

> Of course, Orlanth Adventurous devotees could use the "Lift Objects
> with Wind" -feat to acheive everything Vangath devotees can,

Lifting ain't flying. Also, the referee should apply the rules as strictly as she can in these circumstances.

>I thought feats were limited examples of
>magical actions, perhaps area-related, but
>couldn't be invented my just any devotee...?

No, that's right, devotees can't make up new feats. However, a player can, with the narrator's agreement, make up feats that his devotee and others in his clan have available to them.

Phil.

PS. Can we keep the subjects clear, please? It's difficult to follow "random musing" and "random question" threads