Re: Fireblade

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:31:48 -0000

>> Say someone has the abilities cc 15w3 and fire magic 17.
{snip}
Graham:
>Yeah, but he's trying to beat people senseless with the flame of his
>devotion. Remember that bit in Star Wars where Obi Wan's lightsaber nearly
>dies during the duel with Vader? The "your powers are weak old
>man" bit? Its like that. No matter how good you are at close combat, you
>ain't going to get far with a sword that keeps fizzling out of existence.

No that's not quite right.
This guy can beat a stick picker with any old thing he choses, a large fish, a twig, a piece of cheese.
What's the improv mod for using a large fish? -40? Still leaves him with 15w.
Fire magic 17 is not a terrible ability score. Even if it only produced a flaming sword with the intensity of a match he should still be attacking better than if he was armed with a fish.

I guess augmentation could cover it. With 15w3 you should be able to get some high augmentation.
Trouble is I find it hard to see how probable some hw contests are. If this guy could augment his fire magic close to his cc level then I'd be happy but I have no idea how easy that actually is.

James Turner
j.a.turner_at_...