Re: Re: feats'n'stuff

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:48:10 +0000

On Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:39:21 +0200, Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...> wrote:

Snipping a long, detailed and clear discourse, here's where we disagree:

>that gods are rigid, unchangeable, whereas heroes aren't.
>A god did only a finite amount of things before the invention
>of time, but heroes can always create new effects with the
>powers available to them.

How can the time before time be finite? Why should the feats enacted by Deities be finite? Why, indeed, should they not still be creating new wonders, in that time outside time, that we (as characters) are only just learning about? Take Vinga, she has 'Run Across Mud' and 'Leap Across Water' - so, at what point of viscosity should you have to change movement types? By your definition, Vinga could not treat this as a seamless continuum, but the heroes are more powerful than their Goddess, and can create magic she did (and possibly could) not. Of course, this is exaggerated, but these feats make a nice pair for the illustration ("You've got a lovely pair of...erm... feats there, Vinga..."). Back to our unnamed fire deity, sometimes he wrapped fire round his sword, sometimes he wrapped it round a stick, sometimes he just used it bare in a blade. Why shouldn't he, he's a god? And why shouldn't our Devotee do so all as one feat, he's just following his god.

>Reading the rulebook, it says that initiates can't learn feats
>- how could initiates then create magic? (Concidering that
>players create the feats, characters remember them)

Initiates lean the general myths, not the secret knowledge of channelling the god's powers. They work with a weaker connection, so they have a lower chance to get it right. I know how to fly a 'plane, but it would be a pretty hazardous flight. I can make the attempt, and if I succeed, I'll get better, like an Initiate. But until someone tells me what all the extra dials & switches do (like a Devotee), I'll always be relying on a good bit of luck.

>I prefer the latter - it emphasizes how player characters aren't
>tied down like gods are.

But the Gods were NOT tied down (well, maybe Uleria...). They lived a timeless time, and performed deeds unlimited in time unlimited, every deed performed in an unlimited variety of ways. We have simply learned as few of those deeds as we have the writings of some nameless Egyptian scribe whose marks we see on a broken fragment of tablet.

I occasionally wax lyrical...

Wulf