Re: Heroquesting

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 22:01:21 +0100

Benedict:

>It seems implied, or at least believed by my player Charles Corrigan,
>that going on a heroquest needs a hefty pile of heropoints.

I agree completely. I was just trying to save Rurik from using one on his very first roll. He'll still need a few in stock for the actual Quest

Challenge, frex. He still needs more bonus points than noted on NB p.43
if he wants to support both the first and last stations (as he must).
Especially if it is maintained that his Mythology ability only is 17.

Thom:

>>How much should a cow get as a sacrifice? Would it count it as a "valuable
>>item" (+5 to +10), with the bonus dependant on what deity is sacrificed to -
>
>+1 or +2 per point of wealth seems reasonable (up to some limit - perhaps
>only up to the community support level).

Per _permanent_ point of wealth? That's stingy! I was thinking at least +5 per cow, subject to a roll of your wealth against the value of the cattle (15 per head), and only on a really bad failure would you lose permanent wealth points (lesser failures mean a short-term reduction).

As for the idea of 'different communities supporting different parts of the quest' yes, it has been bandied about both at Convulsions and on the various lists. It might solve some problems, but it also creates new ones. E.g. I can't see a 'generic' ritual being devoted to a specific usage in the quest, they would have to be tailored to fit the relevant stations. As Wulf says:

>Well, I had imagined it more like the Humakti supporting your fight
>against the Trolls, while the wife, the mother-in-law and their
>entire family support you against the Tilntae.

And that implies that the details of the quest are very well known.

In the one actual HQ run by my Narrator, we did the Arming first, seguing directly into a shorter ritual representing the starting events of the myth we were emulating. We only got the time, place and community modifiers once, but the Narrator was apparently generous with the item bonuses, because we had a pretty hefty total at the end. (I suspect he also fudged the community participation to something more reasonable than the table provides.) It was only used for crossing over though, we had a hard time imagining how parts of the effect could be channeled into different uses. I think that _would_ require separate rituals performed by separate groups. And in this particular case we were reenacting an obscure myth that hadn't been used as a quest within living memory.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg