Re: Re: Heroquesting

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:31:16 -0800

>>It seems implied, or at least believed by my player Charles Corrigan,
>>that going on a heroquest needs a hefty pile of heropoints.

>I agree completely. I was just trying to save Rurik from using one on his
>very first roll. He'll still need a few in stock for the actual Quest
>Challenge, frex. He still needs more bonus points than noted on NB p.43
>if he wants to support both the first and last stations (as he must).
>Especially if it is maintained that his Mythology ability only is 17.

There is also the possibilty of someone other than the hero doing the ceremony to cross over - an "Opener of the Way" type position. Rurick can also
(yes, I know I didn't write it in the example, but it is still an option for low Mythology types).

>As for the idea of 'different communities supporting different parts of
>the quest' yes, it has been bandied about both at Convulsions and on the
>various lists. It might solve some problems, but it also creates new
>ones. E.g. I can't see a 'generic' ritual being devoted to a specific
>usage in the quest, they would have to be tailored to fit the relevant
>stations. As Wulf says:

>>Well, I had imagined it more like the Humakti supporting your fight
>>against the Trolls, while the wife, the mother-in-law and their
>>entire family support you against the Tilntae.

>And that implies that the details of the quest are very well known.

While we at Issaries haven't written up the rules for such things (too busy working on Thunder Rebels), the idea is more that the Humakti would support the hero's Close Combat, the family would support his "Love Family" (or similar ability), etc. that way you don't need to know *exactly* what you will face (which is impossible anyway - everyone faces stuff unique to himself at least once in a quest). You'll know (through Mythology) what general sorts of things you'll face ("We'll probably face a combat of some kind, let's go see if the Humakti will support us there, and Orlanth got lost in the Swamp of Despair, so let's go see Odayla for help with "not getting lost", and...)

RR