RE: Re: Sacrifice

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:08:42 -0000

>Actually, according to the HW rules that have been bandied about,
>a cow is about worth one permanent wealth.
>And, considering that cows are not 'unique,' 'expensive' and are
>not everyday items.

I'd say a cow is an expensive item. Let's have a look... Resistance of 15, so someone with 10W wealth could acquire one as pocket change, which is half way between "Prosperous" and "Rich". 15 Wealth is "Common", which gives a 50-50 chance of being able to easily acquire a spare cow without reducing one's wealth rating. A cow is the same cost as a 2-wheel cart, and 2 cows = 1 commoner's house. I'd call that "expensive".

A cow can be traded in for 1.5 wealth, at the cost of a HP to cement the benefit. So, if you acquire a cow and don't want to cement the benefit, then you could sacrifice it for the equivalent of sacrificing a wealth point. An entire wealth point is always going to be expensive, so there's your +5 to +10 bonus again. I don't think wealth points should be converted linearly into bonuses, though, and I don't hold with wishy-washy notions of a poor man's cheap sacrifice being as good as a rich man's expensive sacrifice. Orlanth likes winners, not stickpickers. Go away, pauper, you're making the temple look untidy. And other such put-downs.

Phil.