Wealth

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:08:50 -0000

Thinking about sacrifices, and looking up the rules on wealth, I've had some ideas.

Rather than just converting loot to wealth at 1/10, why not use the augmentation rules? Roll the value of the item against the increase that is desired, and take the addition as the increase in wealth rating. If you want to get complicated, then you could augment the value of the item with a Bargaining ability before going for the Wealth rating augmentation.

This fits in nicely with my recent Augmentation post, so a cow at 15 would have a 46-46 chance of increasing or decreasing a Very Rich person's wealth by 1, and a 50-38 chance of increasing or decreasing a Rich person's by 1.

How do you justify a decrease? If you use my method of basic penalties being applied to the augmenting ability, then it could just mean that the cow can't be sold, and is devalued for some reason, or it could be applied to the Bargain ability if that was used. If using the standard rules, then it could be a loss of face, "Why would a supposedly wealthy person go around boasting about acquiring a single cow? Maybe if a cow is so valuable to him, he's not as wealthy as we thought."

This will have the effect that rich players will be generous with their spoils, as it isn't worth adding it to their wealth. I think that's a good thing, it may prompt them to think a little more about what to do with their loot.

Phil.