RE: Gambling (was: Wealth)

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:41:05 -0000

>But in any case I'm very interested in working out the HW
>equivalent of:
>I bet two clacks on the guy with the pointy hat

Interesting one. Generic gambling such as poker would be an extended contest to drive the opponent to defeat, with some kind of scale for converting victory score into wealth points.

But betting on an event the outcome of which is determined in some other way, well, I guess you use could the wealth rating to rustle up something to wager, and stake that. You then absorb the acquired item/cash into your wealth rating using the system I suggested.

Example:

Spog has Wealth 20
Mump has Wealth 15

Spog bets a spear on the outcome of a fight. He rolls 20 vs 10, and finds that he has a spear that he can spare, or he knows that he can replace his spear if he loses it.

Mump accepts his bet, and tries to find something of equivalent value to match the wager. He settles on an item of expensive clothing, which Spog accepts as equivalent, and rolls 15 vs 10, and loses, so he will lose a wealth point if he loses the bet.

Mump wins the bet, and goes for an augmentation of +1, rolls 10 vs 5, and gets +1 to his wealth. Alternatively, he could just write the spear on his character sheet, or give it away, sacrifice it, throw it at someone, or whatever.

As to wagering clacks or bolgs, commonroom lodgings are Wealth 1, and that's a few clacks IIRC. You can't do much with a Wealth 1 item, my system would give a 10% chance of +1 Wealth. Using my modified augmentation consequences, you'd have a 9.25% chance of losing a wealth point, though, if my maths is correct. Which it may not be.

Phil.