RE: Digest Number 344

From: A. K. Berner <open_micro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:43:42 -0500

Wulf wrote:

>Overconfidence.

Yes, I suppose that might be convincing on occasion. My experience with getting good at something is that overconfidence is usually the result of over compensation for being not so good at it e.g. the concept in the HW rules of one mastery being about equal to a jouneyman's level such that someone could regularly make items of high quality. In other words, part of being an expert is knowing ones limits. I'd look at overconfidence as being more of a fumble situation. I do see how it works a bit since going for higher bonuses makes it more likely that one would end up with a penalty.

Suffice it to say that along with 4 or 5 other ideas, overconfidence woudl probably be pursuasive as a narrative explaination.

Anyone else got others examples? A primary use of abilities is augmentation and failures seem to happen many many times a session even when the players aren't going for super high bonues...

A.K. Berner