Re: Re: Sacrifice

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:48:39 +0000

Phil Hibbs wrote:
> I'd say a cow is an expensive item.

A typical Heortling family owns cows roughly equal in value to the carl's wergild: 15. That suggests in modern terms a cow is worth thousands of pounds (I'd say less than 10 000). ...
> I don't hold with wishy-washy notions of a poor
> man's cheap sacrifice being as good as a rich man's expensive sacrifice.

I agree. Orlanth justice is based on compensation of damage done and actual actions, not assessment of mental states such as premeditation and guilt. This suggests that Orlanthi in general have similar attitudes when assessing the worth of peoples actions.