RE: Re: feats'n'stuff

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:44:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Graham, Andrew wrote:

> > > Timeless and boundless are not synonymous with infinite.
> >
> > Timeless yes, but boundless? Surely that's the definition of infinite.
> Our own Universe is regarded as being finite but unbounded.
> i.e. its expanding at the speed of light.

Not according to any cosmological theory I've ever seen. The expansion of the universe is considerably below the speed of light. It also occurs equally in all directions, leading to one of two possible conclusions - we are at the center of the universe (unlikely) or the universe is expanding equally across all points, leading to the assumption there is no boundary, and the universe is infinite in the normal three dimensions.

Having said that, this is rather off the point. For a measure to be finite, it must be bounded. There must be some value that falls outside it. Equally, the only unbounded measures must be infinite - there is no value which falls outside it.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net