Re: augmenting

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 22:45:14 +0200

"A. K. Berner" wrote:
> After thinking about this more over the past few days I've come up with a
> few ideas myself. Example: I have dodge of 3w (possibly spending all of my
> HP's from 2 or 3 entire gaming sessions to raise it from 17!) and am seeking
> to get a bonus of +2 (or edge of +4) to my Close Combat ability. I roll a 12
> (failure bumped to success) and the 'environment' rolls an 8 (success). The
> environment rolled lower so I get a penalty -2 or handicap of -4. What
> happened?

In my opinion there's a serious fault here. There's virtually no chance of gaining no result whatsoever with augmenting - therefore I'd much rather have a marginal or minor defeat have no effect and only a major or complete defeat give a penalty, and even then only a single one. If you're augmenting with a skill that is risky - for example using Strong to augment Pick Locks - would using the original table be justifiable.

.02 pennies

-B