More Community Support

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:58:37 +0000

> From: Jonas Schi=f6tt <jonas.schiott_at_...>
>I've been thinking some more about the possibility of a linear bonus. It
>might work if used carefully.
>
>Say for instance that 1 extraordinary supporter = 2 total = 8 ordinary =
>+1. What is needed then is a restriction in role-playing terms. One could
>state that it is very unlikely for someone outside the quester's closest
>circle of family and friends to give extraordinary support, and likewise
>that total support from anyone outside the clan is extremely rare. That
>would keep the numbers within reason, I think.
>Even for a quest that benefits a larger number of people, it's a matter
>of logistics: getting all those people worked up into the emotional
>frenzy needed for the higher levels of support is very difficult.
>Besides, even if you're doing a quest for the benefit of a smaller group,
>you might find it hard work rounding up every single member to attend the
>ceremony. Getting the proverbial 85% to show up would probably be
>regarded as a very good turnout.

Yes. I'd add that support continues after the ceremony. So for a long (middle world time) quest - the level of support might have to be kep up for days, months or years. My guess is that a kind of rota is used - with all participants praying/sacricing at least daily. If people stop then the benefits should diminish pro rata (another good reason to have groups supply specific bonuses).

Thom