Re: thunderstones

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:01:46 -0000

Having dealt with Bryan's Armour of Woad questions by casually referring to old messages, I'll spend a bit more time on Thunderstone here...

> First of all, "enchant thunderstone".
>
> According to the rules, to permanently enchant something first you
> defeat it with an appropriate enchant ability, then you defeat it
> with what you want to enchant into it, then you spend a hero point
> to lock it in. Then the item gains an ability at 12. I'm not sure
> this fits thunderstones, as:
> 1) I thought they were either one use items or something that you
> temporarily imbued into a stone....are they actually permanently
> enchanted rocks that you will want to gather up and re-use?

I would tend to agree that they are typically one use items and going the full "enchant" route seems over-excessive in this case. Of course if you wanted to create a "permanent" Thunderstone then this is the mechanism you would use to do so. (In the same way that, for example a Humakt Devotee can always use his feats to augment his Sword, or can use Enchant Iron (IIRC) to create a 'permanent' magic sword - We have also discussed here (or on "Herowars" the creation of magic items and Machine City - The consensus appeared to be it is not the creation of permanent items that is wrong, it is the mass production of them)

> 2) This would suggest you could stick a wide variety of magic into
> thunderstones (assuming you have appropriate affinities). Is
> thunderstone just a generic word for a magic stone? I always
> thought they were specifically stones that went flash/boom on
> impact.

They are stones that embody thunder specifically, or storm in general. We had quite a long discussion about whether you could use Thunderstones to enhance Storm Summoning, I'm not sure that either side convinced the other of their point of view though. If you wanted to create a permanent item that used some aspect of Storm-type magic then I'd let Enchant Thunderstone be the way to do it, If you wanted a Stone that burst into flame, or allowed you to breathe underwater, or creates a nourishing meal when boiled in water, I'd say you were barking up the wrong tree...

> 3) If you were trying to make the flash/boom type of thunderstone,
> what feat exactly would you use to perform the second step of the
> enchantment? What skill/power does this (especially under
> Hedkoranth's feats--I don't see anything that looks like a
> lightning bolt there. Perhaps thunder sling, although that sounds
> more like the sling rather than the stone used in the sling)

I don't have a list to hand - You could always improvise one of course, or use Enchant Thunderstone again,,,