Re: feats and stuff

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:01:33 +0200

Graham Robinson wrote:
> Agreed - I would hate to think that the character had a hot line to their
> god. When I said prayers being answered, I meant they call on the power of
> the god, and the power of the god provides a suitable reply. The god is not
> personally deciding to help.

 Yes - it's important to notice the difference between the god and his/her  powers. DI is that Red Phone In The Desk Drawer.

[feats as discount coupons]
> You still need to convince the cashier to accept them if you want onion
> rings, hence an improv. modifier might be appropriate. Or, as I prefer, a
> simple contest against the cashier's "I'm an actor really 5W".

 Hmm - I think it'd be really quite difficult to get a discount on  chicken rings of you had a coupon for chicken nuggets. Were I trying  to get a discount on them, I'd probably attempt to use the  "My Brother Works Here" -affinity. I get coupons from my brother,  (feats being tied to an affinity) but I get the easiness of coupons  (not having to do all that convincing) only when I actually use  them for the correct dish.

> Works for me. I think we broadly agree. I like the seperation you make
> between feats that are specific to myths and effects that are just powered
> by the god.

 It stems from a set of RQ3-rules for heroquesting I read. It talked of  questers learning various stations of heroquests (for a POW cost)  and being able to activate these quests on the mundane plane. The  situation had to be right, or the station wouldn't activate, but in  response the hero got quite a nice effect.

 After some more concideration, I think I might have gotten a bit  carried away with the conversation - some feats are quite central  to the magical effects used by cult members - healing feats come  especially to mind. However, since not all great deeds of myths  are so definately defined, I thought that quite a bit of variation  between the strictness of required surroundings/events could  exist. Healing feats might be more generic, but nothing spectacular.  On the other hand, there might well be situations where even  healing feats would be inapplicable - for instance CA healing  under heavy assault or Bevara healing during the most peaceful of  times. With regional variation on top, of course.

> Don't think I'd use the terminology with the players though. I
> suspect we'll end up with relatively similar game mechanics, and relatively
> similar reasons for doing so.

 Ha! Yes, and as if deciding on which English term to use in each situation  wasn't hard enough, I have to come up with Finnish translations, too!  Even if I were to keep the actual fine poits of the rules hidden from  the players, I need *some* terminology that a) gets the message through,  b) is easy and natural to use and c) doesn't sound absolutely idiotic.  Quite a chore, I tell ya.

-B