Jumping over trees

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:39:48 +0100

Roderick, he comments:

> > Devotees of Vinga are losers, because their goddesses feat Run on Treetop
>> is utterly useless! The vingan has to climb there to the top of the tree,
>> which is time consuming and indignifying. Even with their movement
>> affinity Vingans couln't jump there, because even the Starbrow would have
>> a har time trying to beat the resistance of jumping as high as tree
>> meters(10W3)!!!
>
>Unless the tree is magically tall, she just has to use her Movement Affinity
>(with Improv penalty) and beat the "World Resistance to Magic" of 14 to leap
>to the top of the tree.

I'm a bit mystified by this ruling.

  1. If i use my magical feat "Burst of Speed" to pursue someone who is running with his mundane "run fast" ability, i have to defeat the highest of default magical resistance of 14 and his "run fast" ability. Correct or not correct?
  2. If 1 is correct, why is it different when i want to use my movement magic to jump over a tree?
  3. If i wanted to lift a big rock with my "Bear's Strength" magic, would the resistance be a mere 14 unless the rock was somehow "magically" heavy?
  4. When does something become "magically" tall or heavy?
--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]