Re: Jumping over trees

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:53:47 -0800

I apologize for blowing my top. Here's a bit more rational answer.

> > > 4) When does something become "magically" tall or heavy?
> >
> >When someone says it is. (where "someone" means the narrator or the
> >scenario writer).
>
> Groan.

What "Groan"? This is a fantasy world. Someone has to say if things are magical or not. Someone (the narrator or scenario writer) is determining a lot of things about the world. Why do you have a problem with this? Because there aren't a book full of rules that say exactly howmany magically tall trees there are?

> >As has been pointed out many times before,
> >Hero Wars is *not* Simulationist, but Narrative. Resistances can vary
> >depending on *narrative* criteria. There is *never* only one way to do
> >things.
>
> Yes, i know that. Intriguing then, that i find your rationale (below)
> somewhat simulationistic.

You mean, the first two paragraphs, until you get to the part that says "narrator fiat".

> Following this reasoning, the following should be correct:
>
> With my movement magic at 10w I can jump over trees ten meters tall
> with little or no trouble (unless someone suddenly deems them
> "magically" tall). You, using your mundane ability "jump high" (rated
> 10w) can't. But if we have a high jumping contest we are evenly
> matched, since we actively resist each other.
>
> Is this correct?
> If not, why is it wrong?

It's right, and it's wrong. There is no one answer. Run the contest as makes sense to you. I personally wouldn't have a high-jump contest be my skill vrs your skill, I'd probably have both characters facing resistance from gravity, and see how well they did individually against it. And yes, Magic would be resisted by 14, while the non-magical Jump would probably have a much higher resistance.

RR