Re: Jumping over trees

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:59:36 -0600

At 01:54 AM 11/17/00 +0100, Mikael Raaterova wrote:

>My point: *either* a person can run equally fast with "Burst of
>Speed" or "Sprint" at equal ratings, *or* a person always runs faster
>using "Burst of Speed" because it is magical and can accomplish the
>impossible.

My personal opinion is that HW works best when every ability is mechanically identical to every other ability.

Wherever possible, in my own games, I'd want magical Burst of Speed to operate identically to Sprint.

Where they'd diverge is in attempting things that are impossible in our world. The normal human sprinting speed is limited at some point. If the speed of magical sprinting is capped at all, it's probably at a higher number.

What HW doesn't try to do, given the fact that it has almost as many possible abilities as there are nouns and verbs, is create a list of the limits of non-magical sprinting, tree-climbing swimming, etc. This question, when it comes up, is left to GM discretion, based on his sense of what seems plausible -- which may or may not correspond to real-life world Olympic records or whatever.

I'm not sure if this answers the question at hand. In my games, the difficulty of an action that can be undertaken either by magic or by mundane means remains the same, no matter how the hero comes by his ability.

Take care >>> Robin