Re: Losers in Glorantha ;)

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:36:17 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> Again, the Son of the Moon is semi-divine. Normal rules of ability caps
> don't apply. And again, Devotee of an Aspect, not the Great God.

Hey I thought that it was in RuneQuest where the rules don't apply for great heroes and such.

> > the have a marvelous affinity of Seven Wind's Flight at HALF(omega) of
> > their Flight Affinity. So even a great hero on Vanganth has a Seven Winds
> > Flight of 15W!
>
> Eh? Where do you get the 1/2 from? It's a complete affinity and can be
> raised normally.

I'd have to check that one, but as I recall it, it was something about the secrets of petty gods etc. Seven Winds Flight is a secret. It only works as an affinity.

> > Alternatively subcultist of Vanganth are losers (eg. orlanthi, who can
> > fly), because there must be huge penalties for example Flying Against the
> > Wind or Hovering in one place.
>
> Nope, no penalty - That's the secret! Vanganthi fliers are able to do the
> "impossible" through the secret.

I thought that only devotees can learn the secret. So normal orlanthi who are only iniatates of Vanganth have to improvise those feats. Logigally for the secret to be of any use there must be penalties for improvising those feats that are mentioned in the secret from the flying affinity.

> > a har time trying to beat the resistance of jumping as high as tree
> > meters(10W3)!!!
>
> Unless the tree is magically tall, she just has to use her Movement Affinity
> (with Improv penalty) and beat the "World Resistance to Magic" of 14 to leap
> to the top of the tree.

It is specifically said in the examples for difficulties that jumping at the top of an 10 feet tall tree has a difficulty of 10W3. I admit that its really 3,3 meters, but jumping sure isn't easy!

I don't know who would "play by the book" in these cases, I know that I certainly wouldn't, but I still think that this is fun.

Olli Kantola