Re: Losers in Glorantha ;)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:05:08 -0800

> > Again, the Son of the Moon is semi-divine. Normal rules of ability caps
> > don't apply. And again, Devotee of an Aspect, not the Great God.
>
> Hey I thought that it was in RuneQuest where the rules don't apply for
> great heroes and such.

Semi-Divine people have different rules. So do Disciples (the old 90% Rune-Lord types). Also, by the time you get to w3 or w4, you're able to break rules because you've been on enough heroquests to have all sorts of Wierd Stuff(tm), like a Demigod bound into a personal fetish. When you are the Personal Representitive Of God On Earth, you get a few extra benefits. Heck, to be a Hero you have to be able to break a few rules. It's practically a requirement.

> > Eh? Where do you get the 1/2 from? It's a complete affinity and can be
> > raised normally.
>
> I'd have to check that one, but as I recall it, it was something about the
> secrets of petty gods etc. Seven Winds Flight is a secret. It only works
> as an affinity.

Ah, Page 184, Subcult secrets. I can tell you that it will be changed in Thunder Rebels.

A Secret is a Secret - some are more powerful than others. The mechanics used to describe a Secret are gamemechanical ways of using the secret. V.'s secret is total and effortless flight. We (the authors) use the Affinity mechanics to describe it, which mean that it is magical, and you can improvise from it. If we'd said that it acted like a Grimoire, you'd know that you could *not* improvise from it, etc. The secrets that "act like a passion spirit" are not, in fact, any sort of integration of a spirit, they just use the same mechanics (1/x of the ability rating as a bonus to actions, usually).

> > Nope, no penalty - That's the secret! Vanganthi fliers are able to do
the
> > "impossible" through the secret.
>
> I thought that only devotees can learn the secret. So normal orlanthi who
> are only iniatates of Vanganth have to improvise those feats. Logigally
> for the secret to be of any use there must be penalties for improvising
> those feats that are mentioned in the secret from the flying affinity.

Correct - Normal Orlanthi who can fly *do* have to improvise things like flying against the wind, and at hefty penalties, too, assuming the narrator allows something like "Lift Objects with Wind" (O. Adv.) to allow a person to fly. Vanganthi who do not know the secret have to improvise. Vanganthi who know the secret don't have to improvise, because their secret allows them to do it at their normal Seven Winds Flight ability rating. They can Hover, which Orlanthi absolutely cannot do (see the note on Orlanthi flight). These are the "impossible" things that knowing the Secret of Vanganth gives you. Not world-shaking, but useful.

RR