Re: Re: my take on the magical vs. mundane

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:00:43 +0000

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:52:06 -0000, "Charles Corrigan" <glorantha_at_indigost.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Several reasons to take these affinities, grimoires etc., which
>include:
>- A mundane skill like run will never let you, say, breathe water.

Yes, like Flight, I agree that there are magics that cannot be duplicated mundanely. This only further emphasises how pointless other magics like Leaps, Runs, etc. are, if they can be duplicated by mundane abilities at lesser cost (in time and effort, represented by HP).

>- A role (either chosen by the player or forced upon them by
>political circumstances) requires that you have these skills.

But if, as you have said, that Glorantha is a place where mundane & magical abilities are intermingled, you don't NEED the magic version - or, rather, you can have the magic by simply improving the mundane.

Wulf