Re: Re: my take on the magical vs. mundane

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:59:55 -0600

At 08:31 PM 11/18/00 +0000, Charles Corrigan wrote:

> > >On the magical vs. mundane debate:
> > >
> > >I think my take is to put a cap on mundane skills.

>My view is that Glorantha is inherently a magical world that, in some
>ways, superficially looks like ours.
>
>Any skill of 1w2 or above can achieve (apparently) magical effects.

Here's a possible compromise between these two ideas:

Mundane abilities are capped at X, but when you reach the cap it is possible to transcend it, magically building your ability to a superhuman level. This requires that you undergo a significant trial of some sort -- gaining a magical treasure, undertaking a heroquest, or otherwise supplying a Great Big Plot Hook for the Narrator to weave a series of sessions around. Crossing the threshold could also cost Y number of hero points, where Y is a number that offsets the advantage the hero would otherwise get for concentrating on a single mundane ability, instead of a mundane ability and a parallel magical one that augments it.

It would still be interesting to know how Greg thinks the breakdown of magical vs. mundane skills work in his Glorantha.

Take care >>> Robin