Re: my take on the magical vs. mundane

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:18:31 -0000

> As to the question of why learn both the skill and feat. Well, you
simply
> wouldn't. Why would an Issaries worshipper develop a detect ambush
> ability when he/she can develop his/her travel affinity and get
five feats
> for the price of three abilities? And be a good follower of
his/her god
> at the same time?

I would have said exactly the opposite. By neglecting your own skills, and relying on your magic, you are possibly being a good follower, but will never be any sort of leader. To emulate your god, you should learn as he did, all the skills important to him, then HQ to gain skills beyong mortal. Not just rely on him to do all the hard work, and simply copy him by repeating his actions (albeit improvised to fit the situation). An affinity is not an ability, it's the knowledge, not of the skill involved, but of how your GOD used that skill. You don't have to know how to do it, just what the end results are - affinities are a sort of combination of Mythology and low-level heroforming, NOT an absorbtion of skills. Deliberately ignoring your own skills is, in my book, no way at all to show dedication. Issaries should be able to trade and find their way by their own abilities, not rely on borrowing power from their God, Lhankor Mhy should be Literate and knowledgeable, not just able to call up facts magically. And a Humakti should at least know which end of a sword to get hold of without divine inspiration.

Wulf