Re: Re: my take on the magical vs. mundane

From: Michael Hitchens <m.hitchens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:00:54 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> > As to the question of why learn both the skill and feat. Well, you
> simply
> > wouldn't. Why would an Issaries worshipper develop a detect ambush
> > ability when he/she can develop his/her travel affinity and get
> five feats
> > for the price of three abilities? And be a good follower of
> his/her god
> > at the same time?
>
> I would have said exactly the opposite. By neglecting your own
> skills, and relying on your magic, you are possibly being a good
> follower, but will never be any sort of leader. To emulate your god,
> you should learn as he did, all the skills important to him, then HQ
> to gain skills beyong mortal. Not just rely on him to do all the hard
> work, and simply copy him by repeating his actions (albeit improvised
> to fit the situation)....

Perhaps. Certainly you should learn the skills the cult teaches. As to any others we will know when the rules for disciples are published. "You should learn as he did". Are you saying that the gods did what they did without magic? And if a skill is important to a god, shouldn;t it be amongst what the cult teaches?

It would also depend on exactly what the god teaches. For example, a Humakti needs a weapon abiilty to get the most out of the affinities. And the cult teaches these Physical skills. Yet Issaries doesn't teach bargain, so I wonder.

To be a leader? No. Leader's aren't judged by their character sheets but by results. And whether those results stem from abilities or affinities would, I think, be irrelevant to most followers.

Michael