Re: Books To Buy?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:35:51 +0000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:01:25 -0000, "Santo Sengupta" <Santo_at_...> wrote:

>I am planning to run a fairly typical Orlanthi-Lunars-Dragon-Pass
>game, so any supplements that could be useful for that would be
>great.

Not sure how deep you want to get into it, but here's my opinions:

>What I'm considering:
>King of Sartar

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. But not an easy or quick read.

>The Entekosiad
>The Fortunate Succession
>The Glorious ReAscent of Yelm

Very deep & detailed, but not necessary for general play. Good for detailed delving into the Empire.

>The Missing Lands

Only one I haven't got...

>Wyrm's Footprints

Very good, well worth the money.

>Tarsh War

Not TOO useful, but interesting. Most useful if you are unsure about how to create characters (but KoDP is better).

>What I'm really unsure about:
>All of the fanstuff - Enclosure, Tales of Reaching Moon, TradeTalk,
>Ye Book of Tentacles, etc. They are seem neat, but I'm not able to
>get much information about them from Wizards-attic.com.

In order of descending usefulness, I'd say best was ToRM (good background stuff, the Heortling issue is essential to set up a clan from scratch), then Tradetalk (more good background stuff), YBoT (Best stuff was the recent Prax issue), RuneQuest Adventures (I like the scenarios). I don't know Enclosure, Codex, or the others.

>And yes, I have played KoDP (on a friend's machine), and am ordering
>a copy shortly.

Best of the lot for a visual impression, and a 'feel' for the heroic end of the HW scale.

Wulf