Re: increasing; products; Mundane vs Magical

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:43:04 -0800

Michael

> My stab at a solution is to restrict the use of the +2,3,4 upgrades to
> abilities that aren't commonly used

I mentioned before that nobody in our groups increases this way. I should mention that one reason why not is that people use their Hero Points during play -- if they save them up it's usually in case of a heroquest.

Santo wondered

> I am planning to run a fairly typical Orlanthi-Lunars-Dragon-Pass
> game, so any supplements that could be useful for that would be
> great.
>
> What I'm considering:
> King of Sartar

Essential.

> The Entekosiad
> The Fortunate Succession
> The Glorious ReAscent of Yelm

These three would help you flesh out Lunars.

> The Missing Lands

Of no interest for Dragon Pass.

> Wyrm's Footprints

Somewhat dated, but still some good stuff.

> Tarsh War

It's "fanstuff" if that matters to you -- see the link below.

See <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/products.html>. Most of these have several issues so it's hard to give blanket recommendations.

> And yes, I have played KoDP (on a friend's machine), and am ordering
> a copy shortly.

Thanks. I was just told last night that playing the game changed one group's conception of Heortlings.

Roderick passed on Greg's comments

> Q: So why would anyone ever bother with feats and affinities instead of
> just increasing your skills?
> A: Because the difficulties are different. To leap a tall tree with a
> tree-leaping feat, you face the magic resistance difficulty of 14. To leap
> a tall tree with your mundane leap ability, you face a difficulty of 10w3.

I tend to think it's the opposite -- that to leap a short shrub with a tree-leaping feat, you face the magical resistance of 14. To leap a short shrub with your mundane leap ability, you face a difficulty of 6. Remember that 14 is the *default* resistance for characters if there is no better ability to use. It is not the resistance for all magic.

You bother with affinities because they are in general more flexibility, and allow you to do more "impossible" things (like run on water). Feats are typically an implementation detail of affinities.

This also begs the question of integrated talents.

I think it's simpler if resistance is the same no matter what the ability is, assuming both abilities are relevant (so for jumping over a tree, either a feat or a mundane ability would be relevant, but no mundane ability would let you walk on water, no matter how calm).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein