Re: Books To Buy?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:24:47 +1300

At 21:01 22/11/00 +0000, you wrote:

>I've been on a big Glorantha purchasing kick lately, picking up all
>the HeroWars material, and some old RQ stuff on eBay. I need some
>advice on what to buy next. Can any of the Glorantha guru's help me
>out?

>I am planning to run a fairly typical Orlanthi-Lunars-Dragon-Pass
>game, so any supplements that could be useful for that would be
>great.

An RQ3 supplement that you'll probably need (if you haven't already) is: Glorantha: Crucible of the Hero Wars. Its real value is its maps together with a brief description of various place names, a somewhat fuller description of the people who live there and detailed information on four cultures: Rathori, Rokari, Sartarite and Praxian.

If your PCs run into any trolls, then the various RQ3 trollpak supplements can help out. Trollpak is the core boxed set, detailing the life, times and digestive system of these fascinating creatures. It also has the best map of northern Sartar.

Troll Gods is of lesser value with some cult descriptions, some of which are relevant to your playing area (Argan Argar, Zorak Zoran, Zong, Blue Moon, Spirit Cults) and many which are not (Basko, Moorgarki etc). It also contains a yellow booklet which contains traveller descriptions of Skyfall lake and various troll cults (which are more useful for HeroWars).

Into the troll realms is just some adventures in and around Dagori Inkarth to the northeast of probable playing area. Sazdorf Ruins is a description of a troll clan that lives on the outskirts of Sartar. Value to your campaign: somewhat limited.

Lords of Terror is useful if you want your PCs to encounter Chaos. Snakepipe Hollow is only marginally useful as it's really a dungeon bash of a particular cave of horrors while the rest of the hollow is cursorily mentioned.

Apple Lane contains a (non-standard) Sartarite village as well as a nearby set of caves. Some local geography is listed but not much detail is paid to them.

>What I'm considering:
>King of Sartar

Recommended.

>The Entekosiad
>The Fortunate Succession
>The Glorious ReAscent of Yelm

These are rather Pelorian focused and only the Fortunate Succession has anything that might impact on a Dragon Pass campaign. And I have the bad feeling that I've repeated the relevant information in Glorantha: Intro.

>The Missing Lands

Very little to do with Lunars, Orlanthi or Dragon Pass.

>Wyrm's Footprints

As others said, a must get.

>Tarsh War

Useful for Lunar Army insights and also into the mentality of the Tarsh Exiles.

>What I'm really unsure about:
>All of the fanstuff - Enclosure,

Enclosure 1 has a wealth of Orlanthi and Lunar material. However the most useful bits have already been distilled and reappeared in official HW material.

Enclosure 2 also has some Orlanthi myths but these have been published elsewhere (in Visions of Glorantha).

>Tales of Reaching Moon,

Tales #18 is most useful for its information on a Sartarite tribe. Tales #19 details the Upland Marsh but I haven't seen it yet.

>TradeTalk,

Tradetalk #7 focussed on the inhumans of Dragon Pass (but I haven't seen it yet). Tradetalk #4, #5 & #6 describe the Holy Country just to the south while Tradetalk #2 & #3 look at Ralios.

>Ye Book of Tentacles, etc.

YBoT #2 contains a description of the Culbrea Tribe.

YBoT #3 is very useful _if_ you want to run a campaign in Pavis and not Dragon Pass. If you do, also get Pavis & Big Rubble, River of Cradles, and Sun County. I would also recommend Borderlands but that is difficult to find.

Others that you haven't listed:

Runequest Adventures, adventures in and around Dragon Pass. Somewhat usefulish in that as well as adventures, they also contain a geography of the region. #1 & #2 dealt with Duckland and the Dragon's Eye, #3 the Block in Prax, #4 dealt with Whitewall and its fall to the Lunar Empire, #5 dealt with Dwarf Run and Snakepipe Hollow (and is well polished) while #6 (which I don't have) deals with the Stinking Forest.

The Rough Guide to Boldhome has a map, description of the city of Boldhome (and a history but that appeared latter in KoS) and a list of the personalities (but this may be in Thunder Rebels).

--Peter Metcalfe