Re: Digest Number 361

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:18:47 -0800

> Just to clarify,
>
> If I'm using a magical leaping skill as opposed to my mundane jumping
> skill, then it doesn't matter if the tree is 20' tall or 100' tall, I
> still use a resistance of 14, but if I'm using a mundane skill then the
> resistance is based on the height of the tree?

Yes, assuming that the magic is specifically for jumping trees.

If you are using some other jumping magic, you'll most likely face an improv penalty. A feat called "500 Foot High Jump" probably would *not* get a penalty, because you are using a feat "correctly" (you are using it to jump really high in the air, rather than "over the tree". The tree just happens to be beneath you as you leap).

For three instances, I have "Leap Over Tree" as a feat:

If I leap over a tree, I have my normal chance and a resistance of 14. It doesn't matter how tall the tree is, it might be a 2' tall bonsai, or a 100' tall pine.

If I want to jump over a rock, I'll have a hefty improv penalty (a rock is not much like a tree), but still a resistance of 14.

If my tree happens to magically tall for some reason, then my resistance is its "Magically Tall" ability.

Yes, this does require the narrator to make a decision of how different the object you want to leap over is from a tree, (how about a bush? it's kind of like a tree), and if the name of the feat specifies what it does (since we're assuming people will be deciding feat usage on a case by case basis, this is no change)

My buddy has a mundane "Jump" skill. His resistance in all cases will be the height of the tree, but he probably won't suffer an improv penalty.

> As well, if I'm an animist who has integrated a Kangaroo spirit to give
> me a Jumping ability, does this count as a magical ability or a mundane
> ability?

Magical, so Resistance 14, but a hefty improv penalty because Kangaroos don't jump trees.

Roderick