Re: Mundane vrs Magical, the official Issaries quick reply

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:24:00 +0000

Roderick and Ellen Robertson forwarded from the keyboard of Greg: ...
> To leap a tall tree with a
> tree-leaping feat, you face the magic resistance difficulty of 14. To
> leap
> > a tall tree with your mundane leap ability, you face a difficulty of 10w3.

This has the implication that magically leaping a VERY tall tree also means a resistance of 14, but trying to do so using mundane leaping might face a resistance of, say, 15W3: when using magic leaping, all trees are equally 'tall'. A feature, not a bug, right?

There is some potential for abuse here. I recall that, before the rules were published, various grognards posted 100 word descriptions of characters that they thought showed how broken the rules were. These descriptions included abilities such as 'Glance of Death', 'Many Friends', etc. The obvious and stock reply was that naming an ability didn't make it powerful: you merely got that ability with a rating of 13 (unless you chose it as your 5W or 2x1W abilities).

But what this discussion indicates is that magic abilities such as 'Glance of Death' ARE inherently powerful: their usual resistance is 14 (compare with the 17 or ?W that a typical Close Combat attack will face).

So, why should anyone bother doing things the hard way, using mundane skills, when they can apply Octarene stripes and do everything more easilly magically?