Re: Digest Number 361

From: Andreas Mueller <Andreas.Rolf.Mueller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:42:01 +0100

Robin D. Laws writes:

> HW proceeds dramatically, portraying and resolving events
> as a writer of a novel or screenplay would do. Here, the Narrator
> decides how difficult the task needs to be for story reasons,
> and then comes up with the detail to justify it.
>
> At present, then, your suggestions seem way too detailed
> and rules-heavy. If the Narrator feels he has to look up
> these rules in order in order to have Tracking scenes in
> his game, they're too much.

> They also dictate too much to
> the Narrator: he should decide the results of the various
> levels of success as each situation warrants, not through
> consultation of a fixed, predetermined chart.

Jeff makes a good proposal:
> Perhaps you
> might consider writing a story seed around the information with some
> of the suggestions incorporated into it and maybe with sidebar/textbox
> essay on how Praxian's track and why its so important to them?

Thanks for the critics. I tend to forget that this is HeroWars. Okay, to get serious: Maybe I haven't made my point clear (and it's my fault to have mixed the description up by making it partly rules heavy and partly narrative). I don't expect this piece to be printed in PraxPack. These are the guidelines for authors of PraxPack-Scenarios to calculate target numbers when they write scenarios that will be printed. To get philosophic: Simulationist is not a bad word. In fact, I feel that consistency makes the game more believable and enjoyable. I'm no friend of making the decision how difficult the task needs to be _solely_ based upon story reasons. Then you don't need to roll. You can tell everybody, what you want him to know and leave everything else out. Sorry, but that's not interesting for me. This way, I have a story line, that every player is forced to go along. My way to play (tm) is to give them any information they require without a roll (or by ignoring the outcome of any roll ;-). I let my players roll, if I feel that they can get some other information, that makes their job easier. This way, I'm surprised with the creative solutions the players come up.

Getting back to my initial plea: Please don't get philosophic but check if the numbers (sorry) are meeting the design goals of HW: The game!

Thanx in advance,

Andreas

1.000.000 DM gewinnen - kostenlos tippen - http://millionenklick.web.de IhrName_at_..., 8MB Speicher, Verschluesselung - http://freemail.web.de