Re: Re: Strength of the Bull

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:36:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> Pretty pointless having the Leap Over Trees Feat in your campaign
> then, isn't it? Or just about any other movement Feat that can be
> attempted with mundane abilities.

Two reasons for having it. One, I'm more likely to cut slack for a magical ability than a mundane ability. I do want to blur the line between the two though. Second, a movement affinity (grimoire, whatever) has more than a single feat (spell...) in it, yet improves as a whole. There are no 'movement' mundane meta-abilities.

And yes, someone trying to leap a tree who didn't have a 'Leap over trees' ability written down would get an improv modifier. If he did, I wouldn't sweat whether it was mundane or magical overly...

Basically, my view is that a "normal" tree, the common or garden, boring sort that you see ten thousand times a day across most of Glorantha, offers a resistance of 14 to ANYONE who has the ability "Leap over trees", regardless of its source, and regardless of whether it is magical or mundane. A tall tree, uses its tall skill to resist anyone regardless. Certain forests will be noted for their trees all being tall. Them's the breaks.

> > Basically, any ability with two or three masteries is at least
> partly
> > magical to my mind.
>
> But then are you saying that WITHOUT those masteries, it isn't,
> regardless of origin? That 'Mile Javelin Throw' is just '20-yard
> Javelin Throw' until the second mastery?

I seem to remember the list thrashing this out before, and reaching just that conclusion about 'Mile Javelin Throw'. However, as I said, I feel everything is to an extent 'magic' in Glorantha. Ploughing a field uses the magic of Barntar. You may not use his affinities, may not even be initiated to him, but is you are Orlanthi, and you use his skills, you ARE using his magic. Just possibly not very well.

So, no, I'm not saying magic ain't magic unless its got two masteries. There are some things that can't be done without magic AT ALL - flying being the obvious example. However, those that can be done magically or mundanely, I don't like to see so much distinction.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net