Re: Re : Tracking

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:16:35 +0000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:55:28 +0200 (EET), Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...> wrote:

>"It happens because it fit's the story" is far from realistic. I know my
>life doesn't run like that, but I'm happy for you if yours is
>stimulating and entertaining all the time.

Narrative and Simulationist results can be equally realistic AFTER THE FACT. Simulation determines the factors beforehand, rolls the dice, and reads the result. Narrative rolls the dice, then decides what the factors MUST HAVE BEEN to produce that result. So, as long as the Narrator (and players) are good at filling in the blanks, both produce equally good, realistic, results. Realism is a matter of playing STYLE, not method.

Personally, I prefer my own characters to have control over and knowledge of their own skills and abilities (simulation), but for the world around them to be no better known to them than the real world is to me (a bit more narrative). I know how fast I can run (not very...), how much I can carry (quite a lot), how good a swordsman I am (I get by). I'm far less sure how slippy the mud is (how do I measure it? Is it entirely consistent?), how foggy it is (again, same problems), etc. So long as the parameters are within reasonable ranges, I can fill in as player or narrator the likely missing links needed to get whatever result appears.

Wulf