RE: Mundane vrs Magical, the official Issaries quick reply

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:27:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Phil Hibbs wrote:

> Because magic costs twice as much to raise? Maybe that's why it's more
> powerful.

But most magic is in the form of meta-abilities. You don't pay to raise "Leap Over Trees" you pay to raise "Movement" and, for characters created as devotees at least, you get half a dozen or so abilities raised at once.

At the end of the day, the world record for the high jump is currently 2.45 metres. And that's off one foot. Acrobats using two feet regularly manage three to four metres. Add in poles, spring boards, whatever and greater heights are possible. (World record for the pole vault is 6.14 metres.) These are being done in a non-magical world by non-heroes.

There are people in THIS world who would have little or no trouble leaping over many trees, using mundane abilities. Why do Gloranthans suddenly have so much trouble?

Not that I want to make magic more mundane. I want to make the mundane more magical...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net