Re: Re : Tracking

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:03:11 -0000

> > In some ways, it boils down to which is more important to you as a
> > narrator and to you as a player: The dice or the story?

> I like my characters to achieve their results for themselves, and
for
> the other creatures of the world to have the same chanses.

The real choice here is whether you are COMPETING with the referee/narrator/GM/whatever, or working WITH them. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm narrator, I'm working WITH the players, whether they know it (or like it) or not. Players who complain that "Walktapi can't do that!" while reading Anaxial's just get crapped on, but those that try Hibernation on Fear Spirits get a pleasantly confused look and a HP. The Narrator doesn't only enjoy the game if the PCs lose, so why treat it as a competition? With the whole world as his disposal, the narrator can ALWAYS win if he wants to. And if it's NOT competitive, then why not fiddle the results a bit for a better game. One of the best compliments I was ever paid was when a new player complained "But he's cheating!" to which an old hand replied "Of course he is, he's the referee". That's trust, and I'll reward it every time.

Wulf