Re: Re: Re : Tracking

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:26:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> I like my characters to achieve their results for themselves, and for
> the other creatures of the world to have the same chanses.

Each to their own, of course, but when all else is equal, I'll always come down on the side of the players. I don't like killing characters in silly accidents - they're heroes, they deserve to go down heroically - but if they want to take on the local Zorak Zoran temple single handed, well that's their problem. And in a big fight, an interesting fight, they take their chances.

Part of the trouble is that people are getting hung up on this story tag. Everything together - GM, players, dice AND rules - makes up the story. I have always skipped over boring stuff, and played up the interesting. HW may encourage this, but most games are actually run this way - at least in my experience. This doesn't mean deciding what is going to happen before hand, and it doesn't mean never killing players. It's more about which scenes to play in five minutes and which to take two hours over.

By the way, what is all this about Hero Wars being different because you find the result, then make up the causes? Most games (except those with detailed tables for everything) give only vague numbers, and rely on GM and players to fill in the descriptions and bring it to life. I remember beiung twelve and playing D&D with comments like "twelve points damage? Well, the goblin raises his sword in a pathetic attempt to avoid your massive blow that cleaved his skull in half".

Seems to me much of Hero Wars is only encouraging how I (and most people I know) have always played anyway.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net