Abstraction vs. Detail, plus a rant (was Re: Tracking)

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:46:49 -0000

(good rant deleted but saved to file)

> Yes. For this reason I try to incorporate a balance of extended
contests
> between combat and non-combat. I'm aiming for 50-50. I try to aim
for 2
> extended contests per session (sometimes 1 or 3, so far never 4).
The best
> session we had so far had two extended contests: one for baragaining
and
> one for tracking.
>
> Thom

That is very similar to what I do. I feel that the only time you should be doing extended contests is for the climax of the night's adventure -- anything which is dramatically appropriate. Usually the confrontation with the villian or threat. Most of the time its a simple contest or just an ability check. It makes a certain dramatic sense, anyways.

The other occasion is when the players ask specifically and you feel its appropriate-- a few quick examples would be rituals and courting and enchantments. Usually I am willing to do this -- its something important to them (and usually involved with backstory rather than the main plot)

Hope this helps,

Jeff