Re: magical and mundane

From: Michael Hitchens <m.hitchens_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:06:45 +1100 (EST)

Just a few random thoughts:

Someone was asking about Strong (physical ability) vs. Magical Strong (eg., Odalya's strength of the bear). If the guy with Magical Strength didn't have Strong as well, could he attempt to augment the feat with his default target number of six in his non-existent ability?

I think part of the problem with the argument about magic vs. mundane is that for some things there's no baseline. For combat, well, most people are going to have both mgical and mundane components to their abilities. But not everyone has an explicit 'strong', although everyone does have some strength. But this isn't shown explicitly. Awarding everyone a base 6 in pysical abilities might help.

It's also a good mini-maxer argument for spending a few HPs to get abilities at 12 - useful for augmenting all sorts of things, including combat. I think for my first four hero pts I'd get Strong, Intelligent, Dextrous and Good Constitution at 12. Most heroes are superior physical and mental specimens anyway.

I don't like the idea that Strong and magically strong are equal in arm wrestling but one is better at lifting things (at least mundane things). I do think magical strength should be better at lifting magically heavy things. Maybe an attempt to jump something magically tall with a mundane ability or lift something magically heavy with a mundane ability should get an extra modifier (-10? -14?). Whether that should extend to armwrestling (and other combat) I don't know.

I don't like a flat 14 resistance to magical jump (especially if it's magically tall)

Michael