Troll traditions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:08:35 +1300

Tim Ellis

>HW:RiG p205 under "Local Traditions" mentions "The Dagori Inkarth
>Tradition" as an example and says that Trolls typically use such
>traditions to forge networks of power in their own territories -
>presumably this would allow the Shaman to contact / bind earth, water,
>plant and animal spirits where they are local to the area (so a "Dagori
>Inkarth" Shaman could use spirits of Skyfall lake, but not Zola Fell
>spirits when visiting the Trolls in the Big Rubble?) If not, how would
>you interpret these "local" Traditions

I assume that the Dagori Inkarth Tradition deals with the Shadows of Shadows Dance and that not every Dagori shaman would have it.

I do not think the Dagori Inkarth tradition would be useful in contacting any "spirits" of Skyfall Lake instead the Shaman would use the Skyriver Titan tradition instead (assuming that Skyfall lake is an animist source and not say a theistic).

>So what Traditions would my Gorakiki Shaman start with from a
>description starting "Kurosh is an Uzko Shaman of Gorakiki from Dagori
>Inkarth"?

>Gorakiki Tradition 17
>Kygor Litor Tradion 12
>Dagori Inkarth Tradition 12

For a start, Gorakiki Shamans are Imagoes and are restricted to a particular type (Beetle, Bee etc). If he wants the knowledge of both the Kyger Litor and Dagori Inkarth traditions, then he should state so explicitly rather than have them implied. There are also shamanic taboos.

>That seems like a lot of potential power for very few "words" - or is
>this why Trolls are so powerful?

>I note the Troll Hunter in AR has Zong tradition but not Kygor Litor,
>but I think it would be an exceptional Troll who has no KL Tradition
>knowledge - in RQ terms all Uz were lay members of Kygor Litor.

I assume that means he has access to the hunter spirits of Zong within the Kyger Litor tradition, rather than Zong being an entire tradition unto itself (c.f. HW:RiG where Darstal the Hunter is a Great Spirit within the Yu-Kargzant tradition yet only allows access to one type of spirit).

As for the base knowledge of the Kyger Litor tradition that every proper troll has, the initial jottings on Praxian keywords suggested that a penalty of -5) is applied to spirits approached by the wrong side (i.e. Waha has -5 on his tradition knowledge when dealing with Eiritha). One might try something similar.

But AFAIK Greg's going to be doing some work on spirit traditions shortly (for Storm Tribe, one suspects) and any of this may be wrong.

--Peter Metcalfe