RE: Zombies and Skeletons in extended contest

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:19:55 -0000

> Narrator´s book and Anaxial´s Roster states that zombies and
> skeletons
> continue to act until reduced to -40 AP.
>
> I´m wondering how does this work in extended contest after they
> are
> below 0 AP. How much do they stake then (3 points per every
> round...?).

Yeah, had this come up at the HW demo at Dragonmeet on Saturday. It was first outing with the rules, although I had read them, and the main villain was a vampire. This was probably rather unfortunate, as almost the first use of the rules is this special case. It felt a bit tricky, becuase it was difficult to describe success against someone on negative AP's - you know with positive AP's the exchange resolved what you might think of as "situational dominance", but once the victim is on 0 AP's or less, presumably they are now showing some wear and tear. Furthermore, som bad rolling transferred chunks of AP's to the vampire, meaning that he was brought back to undeath (?) by further attacks. While the rationale works OK for mortal critters (the coming back from negative AP's bit by an AP transfer), it seems both more likely to occur with undead (because you have to keep going to a really substantial negative number) and less rational, in that presumably the intent of the ability to remain active on negative AP's was meant to represent the attritional damage of zombie bits being hacked off. But you are still confronted weith the problem that a hacked zombie might, through wild rolls, stage a dramatic comeback to full health - which makes you just as wary of describing the physical resilience of the critter in any detail, just as before. In short, I'm not really keen on the idea that undead function on negative AP's, and I concur with some other measure like a heavy armour edge.

On the other hand, I am inclined to think that bidding more AP's than you have should be an option made available to all characters, not just the PC's. I have not run any NPC's in combat yet, but I feel that the conservatism this provokes might be detrimental to the game.