Re: Narative Vs Simulationist Tracking

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:17:39 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Simon Hibbs wrote:

> A Narative scenario designer might set a winter scenario during a snow
> storm to provide an interesting and challenging obstacle to the players,
> in addition to the main plot line. A simulationist GM will roll randomly
> for the weather based on the climate tables for the region in which
> the game is set.

In fact when running Glorantha, the way the world works often makes the sumulationistic approach closely resemble the narrative one. Assuming that the simulation tries to model Gloranthan reality, as I at least try. Storms are manifestations of stormgods and their worshippers, and when something big and dramatic is up in Sartar, there tend's to be dramatic atmospheric phenomenon "to set the stage".

This from an elitist simulationist bastard who should be pelted off the list :)

        -Mikko, the Adept