Re: Narative Vs Simulationist Tracking

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:31:40 -0000

Wulf :

> > .... Simulation determines the factors beforehand, rolls the dice,
> >and reads the result. Narrative rolls the dice, then decides what
the
> >factors MUST HAVE BEEN to produce that result. ...
>
>I can't actually see where you disagree? What you describe is
exactly
>what I said - allowing the players & narrator to 'fill in the
blanks'
>between them to get to the end result. Are you talking about the
>scenario as a whole? I wasn't, just individual die rolls.

My point is that I don't see that HW requires, or even particularly encourages this style more than any other RPG. You can still determine modifiers to a situation dependent on the state of the contenstants, their statements of intent, etc in the simulationist style you describe.
In fact HW provides better and more flexible game mechanical tools for doing this than most RPGs (Augments, edges, AP lending, etc)

Simon Hibbs