RE: Delicious Delecti Stats

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:46:11 -0000

On Monday, November 27, 2000 4:56 PM, Erik [SMTP:epweissengruber_at_...] wrote:
> So narrators are populating the Marsh with nasties.
>
> Can we get you to post some of your descriptions of these beasties?

I think I posted this here once before. It's the undead critter from the demo scenario I ran on Saturday:

VENHARL This particular vampire is little more than a mindless monster, an appetite on legs. It is still recognisable as Venharl, a young boy of about seven from the Greenhaft clan who went missing some time ago (something nasty happened to him in the vicinity of the Upland Marsh). It is, however, clearly dead. Its skin is pale and clammy, its belly bloated with gases. The stench of the marshy grave from which it has arisen clings to this creature. It's hair is clotted with dirt and matted down to the side of its head. It wears the filthy, slightly ragged remains of its clothing - breeches and a linen shirt.
The wounds that killed it are very visible:

Its forehead is dented in, the result of a blow to the temple. Its throat has been cut.
Its arms had been tied behind its back, but it has worked itself free and now only the snapped remains of the rope lie on its wrists.

Significant Traits:
Animal Cunning 3w, Cling to Cattle 19, Flee! 5w, Hate the Living 18, Hide in Cover 1w, Monstrous Appearance 3w, Recognise His Own Name 12, Running 18, Stench of the Grave 15, Unnaturally Strong 5w. Close Combat 12w (Bite and Claws ^3, Undead Flesh ^3).

The vampire can fight on until it reaches -40 AP, at which point it will apparently become inactive, like a zombie. However, it eventually rise again to plague the characters in a sequel. The only way to permanently destroy it is to use fire, or an ability such as Jakaleel's Lay the Dead to Rest Secret or Humakt's Kill Undead feat. An iron nail or spike hammered into its head will also destroy it, but iron is often considered to be far too valuable to be used for this.
The vampire is not repulsed by holy symbols, not even the Death rune, which holds no fear for a creature which is already dead. Neither is it destroyed by sunlight, though it does prefer to hunt by night, when stealth and concealment are easier.
The creature feeds on cattle at present, drinking their blood and milk. As its hunger grows, its appetites may extend to the flesh and blood of humans. It will conceal itself from hunters by clinging to the belly of a cow, hidden from sight by the long fur of the Heortling cattle. It can be driven from its hiding place by driving the cattle through fire, as it fears the flame.

Regards,

Bruce