RE: Re: Werewolves Was: Zombies and Skeletons in exten ded contest

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:00:18 -0000

> Didn't reall feel right. And if you can't drop them below zero then
> you can never defeat them. Werewolves are terrifying but
> they are not
> Freddy Kruger... at least, not to me.

Well yeah, I mean I thought that was the whole point of the requirement for special weapons. I mean I didn't like this jiggery pokery myself - I might consider iron a special metal, but this business about only silver affecting werewolves is quite a modern tradition, IIRC. But inccidentally, the point ofg the above proposal was that you cOULD defeat them... it just had no effect lasting into the next round, much like an automatic Last Gasp feat.

> > Although they can be severely defeated, have you run their sword
> right
> > through them (i.e. you knock them down to -30AP), the wound
> seals up
> as soon
> > as the implement is removed. I'm thinking werewolf more than
> undead, here.
>
> This sort of thing isn't really reflected in Glorantha. As far as I
> recall, non-silver or magic just didn't bother them.

I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean that silver is not considered a "special weapon", or do you mean that they cannot in effect be injured by non-silver weapons? That was the sort of thiung I had in mind for the 1 AP thing.

> In HW? The jury is still out on some of these. I am not quite sure
> what you are asking, though many of the creatures are described in
> some detail in Anaxial's Record.

Well, I mean is there a general position like in D&D where you must have silver weapons to affect lycanthropes, or something. The reason this is of some pressing concern is that I want to set something in dragon pass, and dragon pass includes the telmori quite prominently. Furthermore, it notes that the Telmori specifically turn into werewolves as opposed to wolves....... eh? Anyway, I need to sort of be able to anticipate what my players will spring on me.