Re: Werewolves Was: Zombies and Skeletons in exten ded contest

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:26:14 -0000

the point
> ofg the above proposal was that you COULD defeat them... it just
had no
> effect lasting into the next round, much like an automatic Last
Gasp feat.

But lycanthropes CAN be defeated without silver/rune metal or magic - you can wrestle them, rope them, strangle them, anything EXCEPT wound them. All these things could reduce them below 0 AP without special attacks. This is the big difference, and often a problem in adjusting game mechanics, between HW and hit point systems. You can be 'defeated' in HW without a single wound.

> > This sort of thing isn't really reflected in Glorantha. As far
as I
> > recall, non-silver or magic just didn't bother them.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean that silver is not
considered a
> "special weapon", or do you mean that they cannot in effect be
injured by
> non-silver weapons? That was the sort of thiung I had in mind for
the 1 AP
> thing.

Although plain vanilla-bronze weapons just bounce off (they do not create a wound, even temporarily), HW-style 'defeat' should still be possible. 'Dazed' can simply mean the enemy is too good at defending himself, so the were gives up. I favour the 'resistance' style defence, so that even a minor attack might trip the were up and reduce his AP, while most blows simply do not affect him.

> Well, I mean is there a general position like in D&D where you must
have
> silver weapons to affect lycanthropes, or something.

Rune Metal (silver, iron, tin, etc) or magic are needed.

>The reason this is of
> some pressing concern is that I want to set something in dragon
pass, and
> dragon pass includes the telmori quite prominently. Furthermore,
it notes
> that the Telmori specifically turn into werewolves as opposed to
> wolves....... eh?

'Wolves' are just plain animals, they need no special weapons to affect them. Normal Hsunchen turn into normal animals. The Telmori, being cursed, are special.

>Anyway, I need to sort of be able to anticipate what my
> players will spring on me.

That's just too much to ask for :)

Wulf