Conversions

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:04:00 +0000

> From: "Guy Hoyle" <ghoyle1_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Re: Conversions
>
>On 11/27/00 at 5:54 PM JEFFREY KYER wrote:
>
>>> Incidentally, has anyone tried porting HW to other settings yet? I
>>have a
>>> hankering to do Legend of the Five Rings... I think it would
>>translate very
>>> well. Any thoughts?
>>
>>I have been looking into a super-heroes aspect of the game. The
>>Affinities rule will transfer nicely.
>
>I'm sure that HW would be perfect for superheroes, but there would be an
>awful lot of keywords to build for occupations: reporters, test pilots,
>millionaire playboys, etc. Is there an easier way to handle that than
>writing them all up?

Yes.

  1. Give the occupation an ability of 17 and and allow them to use it as a meta-ability (that's my solution for NPCs). Only apply improv. penalties in extremis if you take this route.
  2. Give them (say) 7 occupation-related abilities of their choice at 17.

The former is very quick and simple. The latter can be fun (as it leads to more variation for occupations, e.g., one journalist might have "Fast-talk", while another might have "Finance" or "Politics"). It is also fairly realistic foor modern settings where it easier to get jobs without being particularly good at them (whereas Gloranthan farmers tend to starve if they can't farm very well).

I keep meaning to sort out Hero Wars rules for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It seems well suited to the genre and can cope with odd ability mixes (e.g., resisting a Vampire's "Intimidate" of 1W with a high school student's "Make Bitchy remark" ability of 5W).

Thom